5.11.2011

38 & life is great


So, today is my birthday. I am not posting that just to get lots of birthday wishes that's just a bonus. There's a point here.

Turning 30 kicked.my.ass. It came right smack in the middle of one of the worst times of my life; my divorce. Thirty always sounded SO old to me. And my self-esteem was taking a beating at that time. Thirty sucked.

But 38? Awesome.

So I was thinking this week....how did my outlook change so much throughout the years?

For one thing, it's overall confidence. When you're not confident to begin with, getting older is just something else to lower that confidence level. I wasn't happy with myself & where I was in life, and getting older just magnified that.

I was also very unhappy with my physical appearance. I stayed away from scales back then, but I was very overweight, somewhere well over 200 pounds (and I'm a shorty!).

And I was just in such a bad place emotionally. I didn't know who I was or where I was going in life.

But in the years since then, so much has changed. On my thirty-first birthday, I met my husband. He loves me for who I am, and not someone he wants me to be. This has given me confidence to develop my strengths and accept my weaknesses. I have learned a whole lot about myself in my thirties. And most importantly I've become confident in who I am. It's not that I think I'm perfect or fabulous, it's simply that I know who I am, and I like that person, flaws and all.

Physically, much has changed. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008 and lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of confidence. I am healthier, and look and feel far better than before. And the fact that I look young & healthy makes aging far easier to accept!

And I think being happy in my life allows me to be happy about my age. It's not because life is perfect; I'm pretty open here about our struggles, at least the ones I'm able to blog about. But it's because I look for the good in life. I search for the silver lining. I'm grateful for what we do have, for all of the wonderful things in our lives. I choose to focus on the positive, and not dwell on the negative. I cherish the simple things. I have faith that things will work out for the best for our family. I have a wonderful husband, whom I told just last night "I'd rather be going through tough times with you, than having a problem-free life with anyone else in the world." And I mean it. Also, I have four great kids who drive me off my rocker, who give me lots of gray hair, and whom I love with all my heart.

So 38 is great. I'm celebrating today and again on Friday. I'm going to have a blast!

And 40? Watch out world, I'm going to ROCK it!



Visit Shell @ Things I Can't Say for more Pour Your Heart Out Posts.


24 comments:

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I'm so happy about your outlook on life, and how you turned it around from when you were 30. That is just AWESOME. :)

The Lovely One said...

Happy birthday! I will be 38 on my next birthday, too! It's looking like it's going to be a good year so far!

Myya said...

What a great post!!! Happy Happy HAPPPPY Birthday to you!!! I hope that you have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

I can dig it, yo!

I got a 40 coming up. I hope I can boast an attitude like yours!

Diane said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 40 last month and I know and like myself so much more now than I did on the day I turned 30.

Amy said...

Love it!!!

Happy Birthday!

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday and congrats on finding YOU. The confident you. To me, age is just a number. I still feel too young and too dumb.

Brandy@YDK said...

you just sound so happy. happy birthday to you!

That Janie Girl said...

Happy Birthday! It's a great year to grab the world by the tail and show it who's boss!

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday! Great post!

Silver MLM

Shannon said...

Yay! Happy Birthday to you!!!

Charlene Canfield said...

That is so wonderful! Thank you for sharing that story. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I know just what you are talking about. I had gastric bypass in November. Tomorrow will be my 6 month mark. I am feeling my confidence come back!
Again, Happy Birthday!

Kristin - The Goat said...

Happy Happy Birthday! It's so wonderful that you are enjoying your age and your life.

April said...

Happy Happy Birthday, my friend! 38is babyhood, so enjoy it while you can...you look SMASHING! Have a wonderful day of celebrating...you deserve it!

Kat said...

Woohoo!!!!
Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!
Have a smashing time, darlin'! :)

Shell said...

Happy Birthday!:)

Jenna said...

happy birthday!! i like your insights and agree, and I am also 38! :) *HUG*

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday!! And good for you on becoming happy and confident in yourself. It is so important to learn how to accept ourselves and change what we don't like.

Great post :)

C said...

happy b-day, honey! you deserve the best!!! and yes, it's awesome cuz you are happy! that makes all the difference.

Renee said...

Happy Birthday!

jo.irish.rose said...

awww, honey have a great and wonderful day!!! you deserve the very best!!! and wait till 50 comes round!!! hahaha you will fly with the wind!!! i sure did!!! xoxoxoxox

Mrs4444 said...

I'm really happy for you. Happy Belated Birthday! :)

Are you friends with Heather (Soft Skies)? (She recently had GBS.)

Claudya Martinez said...

Happy Be-lated Birthday!

I'm turning 40 next Friday and I am definitely going to rock it.

Erin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I would have commented sooner but basically wrote off blogger for a few days since they suck!

You are one beautiful momma! It's amazing how much life has changed huh? And I'm with you, I loved turning 38...in a few months I'll be 39, and come 40....I am going to ROCK IT! I waiting a long dang time to be this old! =)