8.12.2009

One Day a Week, Cut Out Meat!

I want to say right off the bat, in the spirit of Blogging with Integrity, that I have NOT been asked to post this, and am not receiving compensation of any sort for this. It's just one of my soapboxes. =)

For about a year now, my family and I have had "Meatless Monday" nearly every week. It was actually suggested to me by a vegan friend, as a way of improving our health and the planet's health. If every family in America cut out meat just one day a week, it would make a big difference in the demand for meat in this country, on the enviroment, and world hunger.



The Meatless Monday site is a website with great resources for recipes and information about cutting out meat for one day per week. There are also reviews, articles, & other information to help get started having a meat-free day.

When we started, we didn't know anything about the Meatless Monday website. But it still wasn't hard to come up with a meatless meal just one day per week.

As some of you know, I recently made the decision to go vegetarian. However, my family's diet will stay the same, unless they decide on their own to go vegetarian. But let me tell you, my kids LOVE having Meatless Monday. If I forget, they are quick to remind me. If something happens that we can't observe MM, they make sure we have another Meatless day that week.


There's also another movement called Meat Free Monday. This website has a great explanation of the environmental reasons to eliminate meat at least once per week. It explains how reducing our meat intake can help eliminate world hunger and reduce pollution. It's about animals, but it's also about so much more than that.

I really hope that you will join me in having Meatless/Meat-Free Monday! It's a fun way to add variety to your menu and your mealtime, a great lesson for your children, good for your health, and a big help to the environment.

11 comments:

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

We've cut down on meat a lot in the last few months. Probably only three days a week have meals containing meat. This is for financial reasons though, rather than anything ethical.

Mrsbear said...

I think that's a fabulous idea. My kids loathe the veggies somewhat, but I think it's a great motivator to make such a simple change and work harder to make veggies appealing. I don't eat beef myself, but my kids and my husband are die-hard carnivores. I'll check out the sites, sounds like an intriguing movement.

GypsiAdventure said...

My gosh - where have I been? I did not know you decided to go vegitarian, but that is awesome! :) We've cut back on the amount of meat we eat over tha last 6 months and a few weeks ago we started having meals without meat in them as a way to make our diet healthier and I'm loving it. I've never heard of 'meat free monday' but thanks for sharing!!!
~K

GypsiAdventure said...

My gosh - where have I been? I did not know you decided to go vegitarian, but that is awesome! :) We've cut back on the amount of meat we eat over tha last 6 months and a few weeks ago we started having meals without meat in them as a way to make our diet healthier and I'm loving it. I've never heard of 'meat free monday' but thanks for sharing!!!
~K

Kim said...

Interesting.. I never heard about Meat Free Mondays... see you learn something new everday!! :)

JaelCustomDesigns said...

*Visiting from SITS

I admire you! I'd have to gradually cut meat out of our diet, starting with one day a week is great! I will say that I have cut back on red meat tremendously. I've been cooking mostly, chicken, turkey and fish.

I'm taking baby steps... :-)

Anonymous said...

I try to do this as often as possible. I was a vegetarian until I married a man allergic to all beans, nuts, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms...and watermelon. (Who the heck is allergic to something that is 96% water?!?!?) I raise our own chicken and beef on a hillside that isn't suitable for growing, so that's how I alleviate my guilt. I figure that meat won't kill me but vegetarianism will kill him, so...

Tara R. said...

I love the Helen Keller quote, beautiful!

I admire your resolve. I need to check out those links, thanks for sharing this.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Hmmm...I cut out meat all the time!! I'm a fish kinda girl. I can't stand pork! uck.

tiarastantrums said...

I actually could do this every day easily - my hubbie would not!

Mrs4444 said...

No meat, huh? But I love meat! I promise I'll think about it, though.

BTW, I see your Cure Chiari button over there. My neighbor has it, and she is pregnant, so it's been some long months. She's due in October. Please include her in your prayers today... :)