1.04.2010

Goals, 2009 & 2010 Edition


I know that I have talked about my goals here in the past. I've reached many of them in the last few years. And for the most part, I'm very content with where I'm at in life.
I work in the field that I have always wanted to work in. I enjoy my job. But I have always wanted to take it further and go to nursing school. I have narrowed down the fields I'm interested in. I even went so far as to enroll this past fall.
But it all comes down to priorities. I work full time. Once I actually start Nursing School, my wonderful employer will allow me to work part time, while continuing to pay me part time. Awesome deal. However, I have prerequisites to complete before I can start Nursing School. And that's the big stumbling block. While I'm completing those courses, I would have to work full time.
It's not that I can't handle juggling work and school; I've done that before. It's not about me. It's about my family.
John would support me 100%, I have no doubt of that. But the issue I have is, my family needs me. Even though my kids are older, that doesn't mean they don't need me. They just need me in different ways. Even the teenagers need their mother's time and attention, although they may not admit it. My youngest, my baby girl, she's very clingy and demanding of my time. She is so happy that I no longer go to work at 7pm two nights per week. I can't imagine telling her that I'm going to be gone in the evenings again, maybe even more often than before. Andrew, my stepson, he has special needs. Extra time and attention is required for him.
Don't get me wrong, for those of you who juggle all of this - full time work, school, and family - and do it well, you have my utmost respect. I'm not knocking anyone.
One day, this will work out for me. I truly believe that I have a calling, and when the time is right, it will happen. But right now, I have to put my family's needs first. Nursing school will always be a goal on the horizon. It won't go anywhere.
So for this New Year, my goal is just to nurture my family, and provide them with what they need. And sometimes....that's me.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful and selfless goal. And you're right, nursing school ain't going anywhere.

That's one of my goals as well. With the girls starting their schooling careers in September, I want to make this a nine months that they'll always remember. Give them as much of me and my attention as possible without sacrificing my sanity - it's always been a hard balance to achieve but I have a good feeling about this year :)

New Year Year, hun <3

Unknown said...

Most of sante fe's classes are offered online. You could take them that way and not have to leave home :)

Anonymous said...

I know from experience that you've made a difficult decision. You have thought it through and made the best one...one that benefits everybody. Pretty selfless, if you ask me:)

Wishing you a Happy New Year, full of the best of memories!!

JennyMac said...

what an amazing and thoughtful goal. Best of luck in pursuing it!

Allison said...

Wow, such a tough decision but it sounds like you've made the right one for you and that's all that matters. It's really about what's right for your family. :)

Working Mommy said...

Good luck with all of your plans for 2010...can't wait to read about how things go!!

~WM

Unknown said...

That's what mommies do, put their family first. Before you know it, they'll be grown.

shortmama said...

So hard to put yourself first when you know your family needs you too!

Tara R. said...

You'll get to do this and you'll be an awesome nurse!

Twisted Fencepost said...

I can completely relate to this post!
It is why I didn't go back to school when my kids were younger. I didn't feel it was fair of me to work full time and go to school full time.
But I will be starting Spring semesters next week.
There will come a time for you to follow your dream. Right now is what's important!