8.11.2012

She Was an American Girl




I grew up in the same town as Tom Petty.
My brother is 10 years older than me (he will be 49 this month!)
 and was a big musical influence in my life.  
So it's no surprise that I'm a big Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers fan.

One day I hope to see them in concert, 
but until then a great substitute is a good cover band 
playing in Tom Petty's hometown.
It's almost poetic.


Heavy Petty
Gainesville 2012

It was a free outdoor concert.  I have been to many of them; 
my friend who went with me had never been to one.  
It's a very laid-back, hippy-flower-child atmosphere.  
My friend is decidedly not a laid-back, hippy-flower-child guy.  
But kinda like when he got me out of my comfort zone and onto roller coasters....
he ended up having a BLAST.

Sometimes two people who are different can compliment each other,
sometimes they can drive each other crazy.
We'll see how this goes.....

Heavy Petty
Gainesville 2012


At the end, they ran off the stage...he said "Aww, they didn't play your song!"  
I said "They'll be back.  They'll come back and sing Last Dance for Mary Jane and American Girl."
And they did exactly that.  It was great!

image credit The Fab Lab

....raised on promises....

Unknown Mami

9 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like fun!

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I'm glad you both had fun! I love the idea of a laid back mellow concert although I've never actually been to one... apparently I travel with a rowdy concert crowd!

Kat said...

Gotta love Tom Petty. So good. And a good cover band playing outside is super fun!
Boy, you sure are teasing us about this guy lately, aren't you? ;)

Unknown said...

I love outdoor concerts and festivals, for me it is the perfect way to listen to great music. Ideally accompanied by great friends, good food and perhaps a glass of wine! :-)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Sounds like a fun blast-from-the-past thing to do. Glad you two enjoyed it.

xoRobyn

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesome time! Glad you got your song! ;)

Jessica Heights said...

That must have been fun!

Claudya Martinez said...

I love that you're having fun! You work hard and you deserve to have tons of fun.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Tom Petty is wonderful. Never seen him in person but would love to!