10.08.2009

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time....



If ever there were a simple phrase that summed up my life, this is it:

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think that will be the name of my memoirs. (*snort* like I'll ever have time to write my memoirs...)
When you look back at your life, nearly everything you've done probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Otherwise, you wouldn't have done it, right?
Then years later, you look back and say to yourself - what on Earth was I thinking?!?!
I can look back at so many things that I have done and think, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Starting from a very young age, like when I was 11 years old. Running into the back yard to ask my parents if I could spend the night with a friend seemed like a good idea. Until I realized the glass door I was running through actually wasn't open. Until I smashed into it. Then it was open....in pieces. (and yes, I was sliced up pretty well myself!)
Driving down a very curvy lake road at 80+ MPH seemed like a fantastic idea. Thank God that only ended up in a ticket and not a wreck!
Marrying at the age of 18. Holy Wow, that was a big one. It seemed like a great idea at the time. And nobody could tell me any different!
And there are so many other things that I could say this about. Isn't it funny how when you look back at it, it seems so obvious that it was NOT such a great idea? I guess that's the wisdom that comes with age. Living and learning.
It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from a great song: "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." (Closing Time, Semisonic)
Most of those beginnings....probably seemed like a good idea at the time.


14 comments:

GypsiAdventure said...

HA - I think we all have a few of those. I have a quote that I keep on a board at work.."Wisdom comes from experience and Experience comes from mistakes." We would never have known if not for the 'good idea' in the first place. :)

Happy Thursday!
~K

Heather said...

You have no idea how much that one hit me today.

xo

Unknown said...

Exactly what the phrase "Been there, done that" was invented for.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Love when you make me stop and think.

But me, being the perfect Wiener Woman that I am, have NEVER had one of these moments. Nope. I'm perfect.

All wiener woman are!!

Hallie

Hart Johnson said...

I think most people think I am having one of those moments now... I've embraced my inner lunatic and we are running free.

been browsing and I love your blog site!

tiarastantrums said...

getting a 2nd tattoo - what the heck was I thinking? I still don't like it and it will cost me so serious cash to get it removed b/c of all the colors!!

shortmama said...

Wow I think I might need a few days to write all of those moments for me!

Cid said...

Damn, you stole my epitaph. Guess I'll have to go with "It was the best of times..."

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

We all can relate! What was I thinking!?

I have a lot of those thoughts!

Anna D (Admin) said...

I had a thought and was going to comment on this post but before I could click the Comment link I say the ad below www.plentyoffish.com and the No Bull Sh*t image and the thought just went!

Posting that ad, right there, may become one of 'those' moments you were referring to...LOL

Enjoyed the post, now don't have a tantrum (re your tweet)

debi9kids said...

I certainly have those moments ALL the time! It's crazy, isn't it that we don't have clarity until years later... wonder why?

Unknown said...

i love that you can look back with humour; i'm almost there myself with my own what was i thinking's ... but not quite.

Mrs4444 said...

I can't blog about this stuff yet; my kids will read it and be shocked, but one thing I can offer up here is the fact that a girlfriend and I once kind of hitch hiked with a trucker we didn't even know (while in Florida on spring break). Granted, my sister was following in her car, but seriously, what in the hell were we thinking?!!!

Twisted Fencepost said...

The story of my life! Too many of those and not enough happy endings.