6.06.2013

Appreciation - PYHO


The feeling of being appreciated is vital to my happiness.

In fact, one of the things that got me through an extremely tough year last year was being appreciated.
My personal life was full of pain, but I worked a job that I loved and was told very frequently, "we VALUE you so much.  You are SO appreciated." I heard this from both my employers who signed my paycheck, and the family of my clients, as well as the clients themselves.  One of them even hugged me and told me she loved me every day.  Oh, how I miss her.

(for those of you who are new, I used to do home health care for elderly clients.)

That environment, I think, was vital to my mental health.  It was a beautiful, bright light in a very dark time.

Now I have a different job.  I am a nursing assistant at a hospital.
Management has been through a lot of changes since I started, and since I'm on night shift, I don't see management very often anyway.  But at this job, I am often shown appreciation from my patients and/or their families.  Both by their comments directly to me, as well as written compliments.
Most of the nurses I work with are also very thankful and complimentary.
It's so gratifying to hear.

And now, I am blessed with an abundance of appreciation in my personal life.  My husband tells me on a daily basis - often several times a day - how thankful he is for me.  For everything I do for him, for being a wonderful wife, and just for being me.  I can't tell you how good that feels.  As much as I hate the term, I guess you would say, that is my "love language".  

I need to be needed.  I need acknowledgement, praise, validation.  Kind of like a puppy.  I am needy, I admit it.  Don't judge. 




My mother-in-law is also very grateful and doesn't hesitate to say it.  She loves for me to come over and cook; she'd rather clean than cook so we have a great system.  I cook, then I sit by the pool while she cleans.  Love it!  She's also thankful that I make her son very happy.  That I love him unconditionally, and could see through his tough exterior to the heart of gold underneath.

And of course, my Mama thinks I'm great.  She's always been my biggest fan.  



Recently, after thinking about how much it means to me to feel appreciated, I was thinking about one of the people in my life whom I greatly appreciate.  The lovely woman who does the scheduling at my job, who I consider a co-worker and friend, has been incredibly good to me.  She knew, even at my initial interview, that I have kids and very specific scheduling needs.  Not only is she great about honoring my requested regular schedule, but she has also been able to make last-minute arrangements for me several times.  This has enabled me to be present for the kids' school and other events. She never complains or tells me to suck it up and deal with it.  She works with me every time.  

So this past week, after a last-minute schedule change so that I could attend Elayna's band concert, I decided to show her my appreciation.  I picked up a small floral arrangement and a card (Winnie the Pooh, her favorite).  I told her how much it means to me, AND to my family, that she is so accommodating with my wacky scheduling needs.  I left it on her desk and when she saw it, she came out and gave me a big hug and thanked me.  I told her "I promise I am NOT sucking up!  I just want you to know that you are VERY MUCH appreciated." 

I think it's important to remember to reciprocate and let people know that we are grateful for their presence in our lives.

What about you.....is feeling appreciated vital to you? Do you make a point to express your gratitude to the people in your life?

Linking up with Shell at Things I Can't Say  
(btw-THANK YOU for hosting Shell, I appreciate you!) 



6 comments:

Shell said...

I do like feeling appreciated. And realize I should show that appreciation to others, too.

Kimberly said...

You are so blessed to have these wonderful people in your life...that verbally express how much you mean to them and how much you're appreciated.
I know that I am but sometimes I would like to hear it. Like true validation. xox

nancygrayce said...

Oh, yes! I need to feel appreciated! That was a really thoughtful thing you did for your co worker!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad you are so appreciated and loved. That was so sweet of you to give her the flowers and card. Have a nice weekend. I appreciate having you as a blog friend.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

What a great post. I, too, need to feel appreciated. You've got me thinking about who I can show appreciation to this week!

Kat said...

YES! I can get through so much when I know my efforts are appreciated. And it really makes me want to do more. It is so important. And this is a very good reminder for me to show my children appreciation for when they do good things as well. Everyone needs to be appreciated.

Great post!

AND, I'm so happy you are happy. You deserve it all!