11.15.2011

The Wisdom of a Child

I pull up in the driveway, and she comes running out. "CYNNNY!"

She is a short, miniature version of my oldest daughter, Shelbie.
"What you doing, Cynny? You picking up Shelbie and Layna?"

"Cynny, you stay here with us?"
"No, baby, that would be awkward."
She reaches her arms up to give me a hug & kisses my cheek.

She is my children's half-sister, their father's youngest child. She looks so much like my daughter Shelbie at that age, sometimes it's scary.





The ex-spouse/half-sibling/step-sibling relationships are confusing to anyone, but a three year old has no understanding of it all. She just knows that I'm Timmy and Shelbie and Layna's mommy. She has no reason not to like me, so she likes me. Simple as that. And to her parents' credit, they haven't done anything to discourage that.





My children's father, his wife, and I can not get along. The reasons for that are many and complicated and not the point of this post.

But the innocence of a child sees none of that. It's so simple and refreshing, and you can't help but wonder...who is the wisest one of us all?


{all photos are of Shelbie at about 3 years old.}


Pouring My Heart Out with Shell


15 comments:

Jackie said...

I hope that someday the adults can make it as easy as the 3 yr old. Until then, hang in there!

Tara R. said...

If we all could be more childlike in our acceptance of other people.

Shell said...

The innocence and pure hearts of children- it would be nice if we could keep that.

Rebecca said...

Yes, if only we could keep the love and joy of a child.

Unknown said...

Kids are amazing... my stepdaughter has the most complex family that includes several half siblings and a stepsibling... but to her, they are all her brothers and sisters. I love that.

Claudya Martinez said...

She's a cutie and obviously wonderful. I love it when kids uncomplicate things.

Unknown said...

That's so sweet! Adults should Take lessons from children sometimes I think.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Truer words... but then, I always thought it more telling when I child that you knew had never been told a thing took an instant dislike to someone for no apparent reason... there is something about the instincts of innocence.

Stephanie said...

The pure heart of children is really something to aspire too:)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

She is a sweety pie. For me it would be hard to see children from my husband after a divorce. ((HUGS))

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Ah, children. SHe is a cutie!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Too bad we all can't be like Shelbie and see the world through the wise heart of a child.

She is just a little livin' doll!!!

God bless and have a delightful weekend sweetie!!!

Frogs in my formula said...

Adulthood makes everything so damn complicated, doesn't it? Sweet post.

Amy said...

Adorable pictures!

Things are oh so much simpler when you are a child.

Hope all is well your way. I've been thinking about you today....

Hugs!

Unknown said...

She is very pretty.