11.28.2011

Who are these people and what have they done with my parents?

Let me tell you a little something about my childhood.
My parents were NOT animal people. I have no idea how I became such an animal lover. My parents were the type who had to be begged and pleaded with in order to get a pet, and then it had to live outside. Now, they did take good care of any pets we did have, but they were NOT members of the family. They were animals.

Once they both retired, I tried to talk them into getting a small dog to keep them company, but they had absolutely no interest in that.

Now. When we moved into our current home, we were not able to bring all of our dogs with us, so Shelbie's chihuahua, Ace, went to live with my parents. I knew they would take good care of him, but I worried that he would not be loved the way Shelbie loved him.

Ha.ha.ha.ha. Oh, the irony.




My parents have fallen in love. Both of them. Ace runs their house. He is the center of their attention. Their entire world revolves around Ace.

My mom has bought Ace clothes, jackets, and most recently, a Snuggie. She enjoys texting me pictures of Ace in his fancy outfits.

Over Thanksgiving, I dog-sat Ace. My mother brought over a reusable shopping bag full of Ace's toys, treats, and food. She brought his bed and his blanket, as well as his food dishes, because apparently he can't go even a few days using regular bowls. Heaven Forbid!




My mom lectured me at length about how to properly care for him, and my dad informed of the times of day that Ace poops. I was told when to give him treats and when to put him to bed.
I am not freaking kidding.

But I think the best thing of all happened today. I received the following text from my mother:

REMINDER: Ace's Birthday is on Sunday!!

They are 100% wrapped around Ace's little paw.


12 comments:

Liz Mays said...

As soon as you said she bought him clothes....hook,line,sinker. ;)

ChiTown Girl said...

That's hilarious! Apparently they forgot Ace used to be YOUR dog, huh?

Amy said...

How funny!

Ducky said...

Just takes one little lick to wrap em around the paw! Thats awesome.

Unknown said...

That made me giggle... Ace is a lucky dog. :)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I have a blog post from fairly on that is an exchangebetween my sister and I over my mother dog... parents and pets...

When my parents retired, my mother learned to sew and quilt after years of swearing at the sewing machines, and my father, who previously refused to pave the driveway or get central air, did both!

Tara R. said...

HA! You turned them to the dark side... my parents were the same when they agreed to keep my dog when I left home for college.

Anonymous said...

That's freaking adorable! :) And totally hilarious!

Brandy@YDK said...

awwww that's so sweet. but ace is a cutie!

Tiffany said...

SO hilarious!! He is a cute dog though! How could you not fall in love?? :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I guess they had it in them all along!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Now this is a really sweet post. I am so happy they have become so deeply in love with Ace.