11.13.2011

Aging Pisses Me Off.

I work with the elderly. And the more I see, the more aging pisses me off.

It's understandable for our bodies to start to wear out over time.
Our joints stop working properly. Our skin begins to wrinkle. Our hair begins to gray.

I understand that our organs gradually cease to function properly. It's a natural part of the process of life. It has a beginning, and an end.
And intellectually, I understand that the brain is just another body part. And in time, it will fail too.

But it just seems so cruel, the way it sometimes happens.

Because it robs us. Aging robs us of our independence. It robs us of our privacy. It robs us of our pride, and sometimes our dignity. It makes us unable to think clearly, and perform the most simple tasks without assistance.

But worst of all, it robs us of what may be the most precious human possession: our memories.
In some cases, it completely steals all of our memories. It wipes the slate clean. We are left not knowing who we are many days, and wondering who these lovely people are who come to visit.

It seems incomprehensibly cruel that, after living a long and productive life, we are reduced to just a shadow of the person we used to be. With no memory of what made our life so beautiful.

Why?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not looking forward to aging at all, especially since I consider myself an "old mom" (babies at 33 and 34), and I feel like I'm going to end up missing out on time with my kids and gandkids. :(

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It is extremely sad. I do worry about growing old. I am thankful that my father at 88 is still doing well and his brain is working great. That is my fear, that one day he won't know me!

Erin said...

This made me cry!
My memories are my most cherished gift, and I make sure to write a lot of them down so even if I can't or don't remember them I hope my family will find joy in them someday!

Tara R. said...

Of him and his six brothers and sisters, my grandfather was the only one not affected by Alzheimer's. It was so sad to watch these vibrant people lose who they were. I agree, sometimes aging pisses me off too.

Stephanie said...

I'm with you. I'm watching the people I love deal with health and mental health issues that are so unfair. Sometimes frankly, it sucks.

Kat said...

I know. Trust me I know. After all my dad went through and all we went through with him, I know.
BUT, I do think our suffering serves a purpose. It strengthens us. And it strengthens the people around us. It helps us grow. It has a purpose.
But it still sucks. ;)

Brandy@YDK said...

awwww it's so sad.

Helene said...

Boy, I know this to be true. My sweet grandmother is 94 years old and just recently moved into an assisted living home and she was NOT happy about it. Little by little, her age is catching up with her and it's definitely a tough pill to swallow.

Claudya Martinez said...

Oh boy. It's sad to say the least. I have an aunt that is suffering from dementia and it's a bummer.