11.29.2011

Quintessential Me- Wordful Wednesday


I never, ever like photographs of myself.

When I'm taking them myself, I take approximately 7000 and delete all of them except for three.

When others are taking them, I make them delete them if they're hideous. And they're usually hideous. I can always find something to critique about a picture if I'm in it. And candid shots are the worst! I'm usually making a face something like this:



(that's me with my best friend's son, Cody.
He calls me Mom.
I adore him.
So I have no idea why I have a possessed-by-the-devil expression in this picture.)

Anyway. This past week, my niece's friend posted some pictures she had taken a few months ago just before my niece's wedding. We were at the nail salon getting all pretty for the wedding, and she snapped this candid shot of me, laughing at who-knows-what (probably something inappropriate).



And...I...LOVE....it. Because it is just so me. I don't even mind the laugh lines....I laugh a lot. I don't even mind the dark circles under my eyes....I was so busy getting ready for the wedding, I was hardly sleeping. I love the sunglasses on my head, because that's where they always are. I even love the freckles on my shoulders.

I love this picture because I'm laughing, I'm natural, and I'm happy.

It's quintessential Dysfunctional Mom.


Don't forget to visit Seven Clown Circus and Parenting by Dummies for more WordFUL Wednesday posts!


15 comments:

Erin said...

You look awesome!

Elizabeth said...

That is a GREAT shot! It really does capture your spirit, whoever that was has a great eye.

Unknown said...

I was wondering about the story behind the new photo... thanks so much for sharing!

Claremont First Ward said...

I love the picture too. There's so much there. It really captures so much!

debi10kids said...

It's a lovely photo and I love it too.
What a nice surprise for you to find a gem like of yourself that totally expresses who you are :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I don't like most pictures of me either. I always look so big next to everyone else. That nail salon photo is totally fabulous! What a great shot of you. Well, at least you have one awesome current photo of yourself.

Tara R. said...

That is a wonderful snap of you! So happy, so pretty, perfect.

April said...

I am not a fan of seeing pictures of myself. I have a tendency to be very critical, as I think most women do. However, I'm working on embracing myself...age spots and all! I really love that picture of you...let it SHINE!

McGillicutty said...

it is a lovely relaxed picture... i delete all pics of me too!

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I noticed the new picture the other day and thought, "What a FABULOUS shot!" In fact, I almost commented on it.

I'm the same way... you should see my school picture this year... EWW! and it will be in the yearbook for posterity!

Brandy@YDK said...

that is a great picture. lovely

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It's a great picture. I hate pictures of me. I have two pictures in my lifetime that I actually like!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE that picture of you. its totally candid and you look so happy in it.

Mrs4444 said...

I love it, too, even moreso because you love it and aren't afraid to say so. LOVE that! You are beautiful.

Heather said...

Cyndy - been a long time! (formerly ramblings of a redheaded stepchild) I'm just getting back into blogging after a long hiatus. I love this post because I relate SO MUCH to the 7000 pics only to get 3 that are deemed acceptable, and because that picture is BEAUTIFUL!! Love it.