4.30.2013

Home at Last


Since the weather warmed up, we have been planting. We planted pear trees, caladium bulbs, heather bushes, purple hearts, and most recently, a jasmine plant.


baby elephant ears
(a.k.a. caladium)
(a.k.a. chlamydia, if you are my husband.)

I still have a list as long as my arm of things I'd like to plant: a dogwood tree, a weeping willow, a gardenia bush, a camellia bush, azaleas, hydrangea, ranunculus....I could go on and on (and on and on.....).

there's no partridge in our pear tree.
to the best of my knowledge.

I love planting and gardening for all of the obvious reasons.  It's enjoyable.  I find it pretty amazing to plant a bulb in the ground and, just a short time later, have a beautiful plant growing there.  I guess I should've paid more attention in science; then maybe I'd understand how the bulb magically knows to start growing once you stick it in a hole and cover it with dirt.  Instead, I say "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!" and just watch, awestruck at the whole process.

I love the beauty of the colorful plants.  I love the smell of fragrant flowers.  I love the deer that will eventually come and eat pears from the pear trees.

"Dude, are those pears on that tree?  SWEET!"

But there's another reason I love planting HERE, at our home.

It's because I know that I will be here forever to watch these plants grow and bloom, year after year.

I have only been a homeowner one other time in my life.  It was when I was a single mom the first time, and I ended up leaving that home after I married John.
With my first husband, we 'rented to own' a few times but never got to the 'own' part.

But now, I am home.  We are home.  It's not home 'for now', it's home forever.
It's an amazing feeling.

Five acres of creeks, rocks, trees, plants, wildlife, and woods.

Home.


One of my favorite places on this planet.

In the one home that I owned as a single mom, my youngest, Elayna and my Dad planted a cedar tree.  Obviously, we left it behind.  That was about 6 or 7 years ago, and Elayna still asks about that tree and wants to go by and see it when we're in the area.

Now, finally, we can plant a tree for her here, and know that she can watch it grow.  Forever.  

And that feels....indescribably good.  








P.S. I updated my About Me page.
Go look!  =)




11 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

there's something healing & natural about planting things & watching them grow, isnt there?

I wish I had a good sense of a green thumb... sadly, not the case.

Aleta said...

Home is a wonderful feeling, isn't it? Knowing that you will grow along with the trees and plants that you bring to the earth, it's a warming, welcoming feeling.

I'm planting flowers as well. I started my garden last year. I didn't know it at the time, but I was pregnant. It felt good being in the garden then and it feels good to work in the garden again :) Love the pictures!

ChiTown Girl said...

Aw, Cyndy, this makes my heart smile =)

I completely understand what you're feeling. I've been blessed to be able to have my own home for nearly 19 years now. It wasn't easy, and there were times I had to work 3 jobs, on top of grad school, all while raising my son as a single parent. But, I wouldn't change a thing. Being able to keep my home, "all by my big self," is one of things I'm proudest of in my life.

Amy said...

Love it!

I have a black thumb. I'm just no good at growing things. Good thing I live on 43 acres of woods and there are wild things growing all around me. :)

Diane said...

I really started getting into the planting of things last year. The urge just hit me out of nowhere. And now I'm amazed to see all that stuff actually coming back!

Newlymeds said...

Looks beautiful!! Happy Spring!

Mrs4444 said...

Happy for you, Friend...

Unknown said...

I can't wait to have a garden...and a yard...and a house!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm happy you have your forever home!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

I love planting new trees. So fun to see them get bigger every year. We just planted a japanese magnolia. I can not wait til it gets bigger and starts blooming.

Bill Lisleman said...

I had a bit time and read your updated "about" page. Quite a story and congrats on the recent beach wedding.
5 acres - that's a nice nice sized piece of land. Honestly, I've gotten lazier about landscaping. I do enjoy looking at it. Maintaining it, not so much. We have one pine tree stuck between our house and the neighbors (much tighter arrangement here) that was planted years ago as an Earth Day school project. We thought it would probably die. It never did and now is taller than the garage roof.