2.28.2009

Pockets Full of Love




One day last week, J had taken the day off so that we could both take Spiderman to a doctor's appointment. We picked up the kids from school later in the afternoon, and we were all chatting while driving down the road.
At one point Spiderman said, "I wonder who the richest person in the world is right now."
And without hesitation, I replied, "Me."

He laughed like I was silly, and I said...

"Did you know that you can be rich in other ways besides having lots of money?
I have things that are so much more important than money. I have you kids, your daddy, and we have a nice home. We have all of the things we need. And most of all, we have lots and lots of love. We are very rich!
There are people out there who have lots of money, but they may not have a family and they may not have love. And money can't buy them those things. And they may not be happy.
But we are happy, because we are rich in the things that matter the most."
I asked Spiderman, "What do you have that makes you feel rich?" and he said "my family....and my friends....and you know what? I don't really like money that much anyway."


I hope you're having a Wonderful Weekend!

23 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

That was a sweet post!! So true...I am rich as well!

Hope you have a great weekend as well.

Tara R. said...

That is a wonderful life lesson! You and your family are so very rich in many, many ways.

April said...

All the riches in the world really don't matter; it's the love in your heart that makes all the difference. Sounds like you're raising a very sweet boy...GREAT JOB!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Great post!
Wish more people would see the truth in this.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

What a great message to send to your kids!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

love it! and, i have to say, that's one of my fav sayings!!!

SweetPeaSurry said...

awww Super duper cute!!! what a lovely lesson!

Unknown said...

Well said. I need to explain that to Sassy.

Scary Mommy said...

That's so sweet!!

Sally-Ann said...

Even though I love my stuff, it is stuff and ultimately not important. I tell my kiddos this frequently! Love your post and thank you for visiting my blog!

Bad Momma said...

Sometimes less is more. I also feel rich when surrounded by my family. Money can't buy happiness.

Debbie Y. said...

I was just telling my daughter, that money does not buy happiness and that I am so happy with the life I have now. Thanks for the reinforcement blog. You're right, the most impotant things of all are not things.

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is sure a LOT of fun, but don't you think your page deserves to looking unuique? I've got a tip for you - check out top free blogger.com templates at WebToolGallery.com

Live.Love.Eat said...

Awe, what a wonderful conversation to have. It's those moments that make you feel like yep, I am making a difference in teaching my child the important things.

Anonymous said...

This is a lesson I've learned and my kids have learned too. It wasn't really something we wanted to learn but circumstances cinch the belt awfully tight sometimes, don't they? I'm actually glad because now the kids have a much greater respect for money and the knowledge that it's not about what we have in "things" that's important. :)

kisatrtle said...

I was just talking to my kids about this very thing today. What a lovely post. Thanks. I'm going to re-read it often.

Jenners said...

What a sweet and true post! I love that you are teaching this to your kid ... they will be the better for it! And I feel the same way about my life -- I feel blessed beyond belief and life is good! : )

Unknown said...

Your post here was just what the doctor ordered. Just beautiful! What a great lesson.

Melissa said...

Smart boy you are raising there. Comes from a smart Mommy!

Karol said...

That is absolutely wonderful. You are such a good mom and woman.

Lori said...

I have a friend who passed away in August and since her passing, her husband has received many gifts. He's hit the lottery, been given donations of money for school tuition and have been given things for the kids like tickets to major sporting events and other activities. I know he'd give it all back for just one thing.

I'd rather struggle with my bills than to lose anyone in my family. That's a richness that can never be replaced, bought or soothed by money.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I love this post. It is filled with things we know to be true but don't always remember.

Mozi Esme said...

What a sweet, valuable lesson...