10.24.2009

Scrolling Saturday - HIPPO-crites!

Way back when I first started blogging, my friend Melissa from Rock&Drool and a friend of hers (who I believe has since stopped blogging?) had a feature every Saturday. It was called Scrolling Saturdays, and bloggers could link up an old post that they thought was worth re-running. I miss that feature, and thought I'd give it some new life today. There's a particular post that's on my mind and I really think it deserves a repeat.

Have you ever met a hypocrite? There are some people who are SUCH hypocrites that it makes me want to bang my head against a wall....or roll on the floor laughing...or maybe both! Do they seriously not realize that people see right through them? Do they really not realize that they are doing the EXACT thing they're attempting to belittle someone else for? I say attempting because in most cases, everyone else knows that person is a hypocrite, and doesn't give a flying fart what that hypocrite thinks! It's good for a laugh, though.

So, here it is, my HIPPOcrite post, "People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Hippos".

Photobucket

Good morning, boys and girls!
Today we're going to talk about hypocrites.

Hypocrites are not these critters:



They're far less cute.
Let's define hypocrite.

Photobucket

I think that pretty well sums it up.
I am sure that most of us, at some point in our lives, have done something that could be called hypocritical. We're only human.
But some people seem to make it a full-time job! And I have encountered several of those people lately. So I'm going to discuss hippo-crites today.
The thing I see and hear a lot of recently is people saying nasty things about people for doing certain things. Or, directly confronting someone, telling them they are wrong for doing something. All the while, knowing that they do the exact.same.thing.themselves.
Let's have an example.
Let's say I smoke. (for the record, I don't, it's an example.)
If I were to go around b*tching at other people for smoking, that would make me a big old HIPPO-crite. (I like to put the emphasis on HIPPO. I'm weird like that.)
Or, let's say I drive badly and tailgate everyone. Then, I yell at other people for tailgating ME.
What would that make me, class? You're RIGHT! A HIPPOcrite.

There's another point I'd like to make. If you're going to chastise, call out, tell off, or talk trash about something someone does, make sure you:
a. have NEVER done this thing before.
b. do not CURRENTLY do this thing.
c. will NEVER do it at any time in the future.

Time for another example:
Don't make fun of someone for driving a crappy car. One day, you may find yourself in that position, and drive a crappy car yourself. And then......you'll be a HIPPOcrite. Things can turn around and bite you in the butt! So watch your butt, peeps. Chances are, your words will come back to haunt you "in the end".

Don't spread nasty rumors about someone who drinks too much, if you tip the bottle yourself on a regular basis!

Or, if you put someone down for being a circus performer...but unbeknownst to anyone, YOU were a circus performer years ago...you might just be a HIPPOcrite! It's just icky to judge someone at all, but to judge someone for doing something that you yourself have done? That's downright ugly. And karma will get you!

The old saying is true. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
These stone-throwers will soon be surrounded by shattered glass if they aren't careful.

Photobucket

lol hippo- throw salad

No hippos were harmed in the making of this blog post.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

totally agree with your entire post. i, for one, make an effort not to talk about people's overeating problems. that would me a hippo-crite.

mub said...

That last macro is killing me *L* I catch myself being a hypocrite sometimes, but usually when I'm thinking those things I have this conversation in my head...

"Hey you do that too dummy"
"No, but it's different when I do it!"
"Is it?"
"No... it really isn't"

So... I'm working on it!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

LOVE IT!!!

I hate hypocrites, too. I work with several and you are right....you can see right through them.

Millennium Housewife said...

You are very funny! Yes 'hippocrites' are terrible. especially the ones that wallow in mud...

Unknown said...

good post!
just stopped by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

anymommy said...

Okay, I'm both laughing at people like this I know and vowing not to throw stones from my own glass house!!

shortmama said...

Oh man hippo-crites are the worst...my MIL is one

Twisted Fencepost said...

Amen!
What goes around, comes around. Seen that happen to myself.

Unknown said...

i guess what that means is we should all just shut up and work on making the world a better place instead of tearing others down. great blog, love the hippo photo and thank you for not harming them in the making of your blog. have a great day!

Kristin - The Goat said...

When I first met my husband he was a tailgater and he cursed at people up and down for doing it to him. I cured him of his tailgating habit, but one of the ways was by explaining to him the hypocrisy of it.

It's amazing the things you see people do and say in this world - It's so funny and so sad all at the same time LOL

melissa said...

oh good old scrolling saturday.
and would you believe that i think i actually remember this post!! we've "known" each other that long!?!?
i'm not a big fan of HIPPO-crites either. xo

C said...

yep i totally agree with you although i am guilty of having been a hippy at times. i try HARD not to be cuz we dont know what its like to be in someone elses shoes...

and thank you for grabbing the wifes button [oooh that sounds so dirty] ;) i do appreciate it and so will she.



c

Mrs4444 said...

Glad you got this off your chest!

I loved Scrolling Saturdays. I should think about posting one soon...