10.21.2012

Big Changes a'Coming


A few Mondays ago, I wrote a blog post all about my job.  I told you what I do for a living, how much I love it, and how rewarding it is.
What I did not - could not - tell you, is that I am leaving this job.

I couldn't tell you because it wasn't certain yet.  I was waiting on the official offer from the new job - I had to pass a background check, health screening, drug test, etc...........

I am, obviously, not leaving because I am dissatisfied with the work itself in any way.  I love my client and her family.  I also adore my employers and they have been wonderful to me for the past year.  They've went above and beyond for me, and I appreciate them greatly.
However.

The pay is very, very low.  And because of the current economy, it's not going to get much better.  I did just get my annual raise - but it's still nowhere near enough.


I was looking for another job in addition to my home care job to supplement my income, and I applied as a Nurse Tech at a local hospital - essentially the same thing I did for four years at another local hospital.  The position I applied for was PRN - as needed.  They would just call me when they were short-handed.
But when I got there and interviewed, they ended up asking if I would consider working for them full time.
(seriously the best interview I EVER had. It was a blast.)

The pay is better and the benefits are great - health insurance, retirement, the whole bit.  I literally CAN'T pass up this opportunity - it's just not an option.

I will stay on at my current job on PRN status, and hopefully they will use me often; I really want to keep in contact with my client and her wonderful family.
I have already told my employers, but I haven't yet told my client nor her family; I haven't worked for her since officially being hired at the hospital.  I'll tell her on Monday.  I am SO not looking forward to that conversation.  Additionally, one of the long-term night shifters recently left (for a higher paying job - of course) so it's yet another loss for her.  It sucks.  I know she'll understand, but I still feel badly for leaving her. Quality care is so hard to come by.

I'm VERY excited, don't get me wrong.  When I toured the unit after my interview, I couldn't help but get excited about being back in the hospital atmosphere.  I do miss it.  I also miss wearing CUTE scrubs - right now I only wear company scrubs in blue & khaki.  Boring! LOL

And best of all, I have a plan.  This job will, eventually, take me back to doing home care, but in a different setting.  For a long time, I have felt a calling to do Hospice care.  My plan is to go back to school for nursing (this job offers 100% TUITION REIMBURSEMENT - HELLOOO!!!!!) and eventually be a Hospice Nurse.  Now, I have had some false starts on this path before, but current life circumstances make this more of a possibility now than ever before.  So, hopefully, this time I will achieve my goals.

But - I have never, ever left a job that I LOVED.  So, there's a sense of loss, a sadness, a bittersweet feeling.

So.  One more week with my sweet client, then it's on to bigger and better things as of Monday October 29th.  Thank you all for coming along with me on this journey!





11 comments:

Unknown said...

*like*

Awesome news Cyndy! I'm so happy for you!!

ChiTown Girl said...

OMG! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

wonderful! i mean, i know its not all great because you love your job and have to leave your client, but this is great for you and your family.

congrats!

Amy said...

Congrats!

Diane said...

Yay! Congrats to you! And good luck with nursing school too. I know you'll do great! :)

April said...

So very excited for you, Cyndy...all the best in the world!

Tami said...

Congratulations! It's a shame your other job couldn't pay a lot. Some many people are in the same position.

Kat said...

ACK!!!! That is so freaking exciting! It sounds like it is the whole package. That is just awesome. I know it is hard leaving your job and the people, but at least you might get to still see them once in a while. YAY!!!!!
I am so happy for you!
Congratulations!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Congratulations! It sounds like a great opportunity for you and working towards Hospice care is wonderful. They are a beautiful organization. Sorry about having to leave your current job/client.
((HUGS))

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

YAY! I can't thing of better circumstance under which to leave, but I do understand our regret? over having to leave your client.

This is a break you deserve!

Unknown said...

That is bittersweet. Good Luck!!