9.12.2010

Sundays in My Home-Away-from-Home City


We made a quick trip to St Augustine this weekend, and I played tourist so that I could share a few pictures of this beautiful town with you.


This is the city gate, which is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a little girl. They say the police frequently get calls around 2 - 3 a.m. by alarmed passersby, who say they saw a little girl playing by the city gate all alone in the middle of the night.


This just makes the kid in me giggle.

St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied European-established city in the United States. It is rich in history (and ghost stories). It also boasts the Oldest Wood School House in the USA.

In our county, all fourth graders make a field trip to St Augustine and visit, among other things, the Oldest School House.

The school house and this sign made me think of my teacher bloggy friends, like Mrs 4444s.

This sign briefly explains the history of the earliest St Augustine settlers.
(click to see it full-size)

I hope you enjoyed the peek into St Augustine,
and I hope you had a wonderful Sunday in YOUR city!

Visit Unknown Mami for more Sundays in my City posts.



Unknown Mami

16 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

I think it's great that school kids visit the old school. And it's wonderful the the "city Fathers" realized it was important to preserve it. It looks like a place rich in history. Thanks for sharing.
Happy SIMC, jj

Cheryl D. said...

I've never been to St. Augustine, but would LOVE to go! I love historical places and places that are reputed to be haunted, so what could be better?

Erin said...

You know kids visit that school today and wonder how in the world kids even made it way back when!

Looks like you had a great weekend!

Sonya said...

Wow what a cool place to visit! I love your photos : )

citymouse said...

ST Augustine looks lovely. I really liked the City Gate. What an ancient concept that you really don't see much of here in the US.

Stopping by from SITS.

4 Lettre Words said...

I went when I was in school and loved it.

Glad you guys had a nice weekend away!

Unknown said...

Love St. Augustine, and especially love the candy stores :)

He & Me + 3 said...

What beautiful pictures. I love St. Augustine. Such a neat place to visit.

Crystal Escobar said...

ooh, that place looks VERy very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

We did a historic trip in our city last year. It was a lot of fun and I even learned a few things.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I spent the day there once and it was so much fun to walk around. So glad you went and had a nice time.

Lindsay-ann said...

I really hope to visit St Augustine one day. It looks such an interesting place.
Lindsay
x

Kristin - The Goat said...

So glad you enjoyed your trip to St. Augustine. I'm just 30 minutes from there and I visit so seldom, but I have seen the oldest school house!

Kristin _ The Goat

Melani said...

That place is awesome! I love all your pics! Thanks for the post!

Myya said...

I totally got the chills thinking of the ghost of the little girl. Great pictures, what a neat place!

Claudya Martinez said...

I love the schoolhouse. Wish I could go inside.