4.06.2010

Random Acts of Kindness


I recently read this post about Complimentary Kindness, and it really made me think.
I agree with Kiki; most of us don't naturally give a lot of compliments. Even if/when we notice that someone looks particularly good, or has a new haircut, we don't always say anything. And I don't know why that is.
Years ago when I started working in child care, one of my co-workers was extremely complimentary. She was a beautiful young girl, and her sweet nature just drew me to her. I thought about how good her compliments made me feel, I vowed to start being more generous with my compliments. When I notice someone looks very nice, has a flattering new hair color, or is wearing a particularly attractive outfit, I try to make a point to mention it.
I mean...how can you go wrong with making someone's day?
{Now if I could only learn how to graciously accept a compliment, I'd be doing great!}
I think giving a compliment as a good example of a Random Act of Kindness. A little ego boost is a great kindness and can really brighten someone's day!
I'm going to try to make a point to give out at least one compliment per day.
Will you take on this challenge too?


18 comments:

Myya said...

Great idea! The day before yesterday I went to Old Navy. Before I left, I printed out an extra 30% off one item coupon. While I was standing in line I handed it to the person behind me. She was thrilled! Made me smile too! :)

diane rene said...

I'll take it on :) spread the love ♥

Christine Macdonald said...

Thank you. I'm so flattered! I love your blog and post.. off to read more. Following. :)

Erin said...

I love that idea! And all you need is one person to witness it and they may pay it forward!

Unknown said...

Excellent idea. Now if I can just do that without getting slapped.

Claudya Martinez said...

Oh, I'm very good at this. I love giving compliments.

C said...

i usually try to do this alot... why not, it could make someone feel warmed and cared about... and- it's FREE.

c

debi9kids said...

I too go out of my way to compliment people. It outs a spring in your step when someone does that and what is better than knowing you made someone's day? You are SO right!

Tara R. said...

I started complimenting my female co-workers after reading an article (years ago) that women rarely tell other women positive things. It was amazing the reaction I got, for some it seemed like my compliments were the only nice thing someone had said to them all day. That in turn, made me feel better.

Mama Wheaton said...

I wonder why giving compliments is hard but accepting them is even harder?

Mama Wheaton said...

I wonder why giving compliments is hard but accepting them is even harder?

Anonymous said...

i love giving compliments but sometimes i feel like other people think the compliments are forced or fake. i dont know why i think that...i guess its just that in general society has so gotten away from compliments that its just not "natural' anymore.

i still occassionally try though. :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I have a lot of trouble complimenting people. I think it, I open my mouth to say something and then I clam up. I know this is something I need to work on.

Kristin - The Goat

4 Lettre Words said...

I love that post and this meme! I'm going to try my best to pony-up next week! :O)

Theta Mom said...

I am so glad you just left a comment on TMC - I think I missed you when I welcomed some new blogs - following you, and welcome to TMC!!!

Kmama said...

What a great idea!! I really try to compliment and learn from the person I'm complimenting. I'm not good at accepting compliments...I tend to downplay the compliment, which in turn, belittles the complimenter.

Thank you for making my TMC feature day so special!

Alex@LateEnough said...

A very smart friend of mine suggested that I do this many years ago. And I begrudgingly began to say one nice thing to someone EVERYDAY. And a few years later someone was ask to describe me and said that I was NICE. Which means IT WORKS. Because nice did not come naturally to me for a long time...
So YAY for kindness!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Awesome idea. I try to compliment often but I will step it up a notch!