7.27.2009

Blog With Integrity

It seems I'm not so good at taking breaks.
Or maybe it actually wasn't a good time after all. There's a lot going on in the blog world right now.
I'm just going to keep this short & simple, since I am, after all, on break. Sort of.
Blog-wise, I am a very small fish in a very large ocean. I've definitely considered trying to get sponsors, more ads, etc. But I haven't done it, mostly because this is my little home on the internet, and I don't want anyone else to tell me what to do with it. I want to do what I want to do here. Because I want to do it. Not for any other person, business, or purpose.
My goal when I began was not to make money, or get free stuff. It was just to blog. I've been "writing" things in my head since I was a small child and first became a bookworm. It was only natural to start a blog. When I began, I didn't even know the other stuff existed. And now that I do....I don't really care.
I also learned after starting my blog, all about the blog community. That, I care about. Friendships, support, the awesome power of social networking...those things are amazing. And they should be used for good, not evil.

That said....

BlogWithIntegrity.com

BLOG with INTEGRITY

By displaying the Blog with Integrity badge or signing the pledge, I assert that the trust of my readers and the blogging community is important to me.

I treat others respectfully, attacking ideas and not people. I also welcome respectful disagreement with my own ideas.

I believe in intellectual property rights, providing links, citing sources, and crediting inspiration where appropriate.

I disclose my material relationships, policies and business practices. My readers will know the difference between editorial, advertorial, and advertising, should I choose to have it. If I do sponsored or paid posts, they are clearly marked.

When collaborating with marketers and PR professionals, I handle myself professionally and abide by basic journalistic standards.

I always present my honest opinions to the best of my ability.

I own my words. Even if I occasionally have to eat them.

29 comments:

Mike said...

Those are great pledges to have. It's too bad all bloggers can't follow in these simple guidelines...

Erin said...

Excellent Pledges...and I can't imagine words are good to eat...I would think they taste a lot like those rice cakes? lol

Anonymous said...

i love this. i love the part about attacking ideas not people. i love it when people comment on my blog in a way that disagrees with me. i like other opinions and welcome them. i think it makes life more interesting.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Nice words. Love the purple, btw!

Under this Umbrella said...

love this and love you...thanks for posting this. Enjoy your break (again)!

Karen in Texas said...

Great post Cyndy. Sorry but I gotta AGREE with you on this one.

GypsiAdventure said...

So true - that's why I love you! You've always been real and honest and that means more than all the ads and sponsorship I could have!

You're great!! :)
~K

Claremont First Ward said...

The most important part about blogging to me is the interaction, and the owning of my own words. The PR and freebies are just extras.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I concur!!!!

Rhonda said...

That was great!!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Amen!

Hallie

Lula! said...

Wow...this is good stuff. I love it.

(I also love that you quoted Information Society here in your comment section. I'll be singing "Pure energy..." for the rest of the day!)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i like it.

and i bogo bc i love my fam and well, that's pretty much it. i have not opted for getting paid for anything...i assume i could, but still haven't made the jump...not sure i will.

Mrs4444 said...

I feel the exact same way. I'm glad you posted the BWI stuff, because I have been hearing about it and will now take the pledge myself :)

Mrs4444 said...

P.P.S.Thanks for adding the BBP button!

Lynette said...

First time visit from SITS and glad I did - agree 100% with all you said!!

Happy Tuesday to you!

Momisodes said...

Well said. I love that many of bloggers I read, like you, blog honestly and with integrity. I hope to always do the same.

Anonymous said...

I love this! What an awesome post! I think I'll put this on my blog! Thank you for sharing it!

Unknown said...

Lol, I'm not so good at taking breaks either - totally acceptable, my dear!

These days I'm so oblivious to blogging movements, etc. but this one sounds really great for those who do the whole product thing, but the not attacking idea is pretty cool, too.

You're lovely - do whatever you please with this blog and I will still read every word whether through my read or click through when I'm feeling especially chatty ;)

xo

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Excellent!

Momo Fali said...

I love this.

I have ads and sponsors, but they have never, ever dictated what I write. I love blogging because I am my own editor!

Kathy said...

I just love this site!! I am learning so much from some amazing people. Thank you! Please accept this Lovely Blog Award ... your site is terrific and honest and just what I needed to read this week! Swing by and pick it up!
Kathy From Strawberryseeds.net

Susan Getgood said...

I'm one of the founders of Blog with Integrity and want to thank you for taking the pledge and posting the badge.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Thank you for that sweet award!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

YEP.. YEP.. and YEP.. well said Cyndy.. NOW GET ON WITH YOUR BREAK!! :)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Well said. What a great message. I've been taking a break/nonbreak from blogging myself and it's something I can't help but go back to. I agree with everything you said. This is your little corner of the blogosphere, you're using it wisely. ;)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I put the badge on my blog today. It reminds me when Karen W of Chookooloonks had the Kind Blog badge. People kind of stepped away from being kind and respectful for awhile. Glad to see a return of the idea.

Unknown said...

Amen sista!

Claudya Martinez said...

Here! Here!