11.11.2012

Twists & Turns



Life is full of twists & turns. 


My life has changed in the past year in such a way
that I found myself out in the woods last night,
pitch dark, helping my boyfriend retrieve the hog that he had just shot.
Then holding its hooves while he cut it up.


My boyfriend is a hunter (and will heretofore be known as Hunter on my blog).  
Mostly deer, but if a hog shows up, it's on.
I'll be cooking Mr. Hog in the crockpot later this week.  
I have a kick-ass Pulled Hog recipe.  No joke.



(Now before you go all Hunting-is-Cruuueeelll on me, I used to feel the same way, until my VEGAN friend set me straight.  Providing you eat your kill, hunting is FAR more humane and eco-friendly than buying your meat at the supermarket.  Look up the treatment of animals bred for food and get back to me. Also - my man is a humane hunter.  Yes, there is such a thing.)


Anyway.  I've never been with a hunter before so I wasn't sure how I would cope with seeing the dead hog and watching the butchering process.  But I found it fascinating.  (Remember, I'm in the medical field.  It takes a LOT to gross me out.)  My main thing while following Hunter through the woods as he carried the dead hog was trying not to get blood on my shoes.  Because I am still a girl, after all.


Life's twists and turns are truly mind-boggling.



I sometimes feel like I'm just along for the ride, holding on as tightly as I can.



"If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans." ~ Van Zant



{All pics taken in a cypress grove on Hunter's land.} 


9 comments:

Helene said...

Actually, what your friend said about hunting makes sense. And if you think about it, that's how people had to survive before grocery stores even existed, right?

But still....hog blood on your shoes? No bueno!

Amy said...

I wish you lived closer so H could come get this nasty mama that's tearing up my property. As for hunting being cruel - well, I am of the belief that if you shoot it- you eat it. If you're not eating it, then it's just not nice. ;)

Good pulled pork recipe huh? Wonder where you got that from? LOL

Amy said...

I wish you lived closer so H could come get this nasty mama that's tearing up my property. As for hunting being cruel - well, I am of the belief that if you shoot it- you eat it. If you're not eating it, then it's just not nice. ;)

Good pulled pork recipe huh? Wonder where you got that from? LOL

April said...

My problem is...I'm such a softie when it comes to animals.

Kimberly said...

Love this and you.

Claremont First Ward said...

Did all that blood stink? {{laughing}}

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I'm not sure you could pay me to be out in the dark looking for a dead hog... not even for love!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Very interesting photos, love them!
I understand the humane part of hunting. All I ask is that you don't show what he kills :)

Mrs4444 said...

I enjoyed this post--I liked the reflection laid up against the pig yuck stuff. Enjoy your pulled pig! :)