8.20.2011

Random Weekend Musings



I put a poll up on my sidebar. I'm curious about your kids' bedtimes, particularly your preteens/tweens/whatever you want to call them. Bear in mind when voting that the kids in question have to get up at 6 a.m. and most experts recommend 9-11 hours of sleep for that age group.
This may or may not have been prompted by a meddling mother-in-law.
#bitch


My son is moving home today. He has lived with his dad for several years now, but we live in the same town and he spent about 2/3 time there and 1/3 here (except for summer, when we do a 50/50 split).
But today, his father kicked him out.
I think in the long run, it will all work out for the best.
"And that's all I have to say about that."



This evening John and I decided to walk down the lane to see if there was any wildlife wandering around. We were greeted with the sight of several wild turkeys and five deer; two adults, one 'adolescent' (no idea if there's a proper term for that), and two babies (fawns). They froze when they saw us, and we stood there and watched them for a long time. After a while, they suddenly spooked, and the three largest deer ran in one direction but the babies ran towards us! But then they ducked into a trail in the woods.



We had a blast at karaoke last night. A blast. We even sang "Ice Ice Baby". Hilarious!




John picked some pears off of our pear tree, and they are currently in the oven, covered in butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. I can't wait till they're done! Yumm-O!



I hope you're having a fantastic weekend!


13 comments:

The Lovely One said...

I don't have a 10 or 12 year old, but I voted for 9 pm. I figure my 5 year old goes to bed at 8, but she doesn't actually fall asleep until 9, so if I send a 10 year old to bed at 9, maybe she'll fall asleep by 10 (and she gets up at 6:30, so that would give her 8.5 hours-- if she needs more, maybe she'll sleep more on the weekend!)

said...

YUMMY, regarding pears and "Ice, Ice Baby" karaoke. ... I had fresh figs today. :)

Anonymous said...

bedtime with my son is a struggle. hes a bit of a night owl and its hard for him to go to bed before 10, even when he knows he has to get up early.

Broot said...

My 5 year old is in bed and usually asleep by 7:30pm. I put my 7 year old to bed at 8pm and he's usually asleep by 8:30pm.

And the other side of that: My 7 year old is awake by 6:30am and my 5 year old is awake at 7am.

Tara R. said...

I hope your son's move goes well.

C said...

bedtime is what you guys want it to be in YOUR household, based on how each kid does with the amount of sleep they need.

diane rene said...

my 11 year old goes to bed at 9 - TV off at 10 ... she usually crashes well before 10 tho.

good luck on the "move"

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

My eight year old currently is in bed at 8 or a little before, so I'm assuming by the time he is 10 or 12 we might be able to up it to 9pm. But maybe not, depending on how tired he is after school and sports!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The pears sounds yummy. That is a large amount of wild life to see.
We saw two baby deers on the road who were terrified. We don't know were their mom was but we didn't leave until they got off the road.
Praying all goes well with you son living with you. I think it's a good thing.

Erin said...

At one time I had a step daughter and between the ages of 10 - 12 I believe she went to bed at 8! I so love that you called your MIL a Bitch! HAHAHA that's awesome!!

Glad your son is moving home! That is awesome, it will all work out!

And ummm Video of the Ice Ice Baby? It should have been a must have!


So jealous you have a pear tree! Pear jam sound so YUM!

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm sorry that your son is going through difficulties with his father. I'm glad he has you.

WicketsMom said...

My MIL makes the snarky comments about my son's bedtime too. He's four, and a little night owl, and it is a struggle to get him in bed by 10:00, and he is rarely asleep before 10:30. He is able to sleep until 8:00am though since his school is so close and doesn't start until 8:30.

Brandy@YDK said...

i try to get g asleep by 9 and he's up at 7. i feel like I should get him to sleep earlier but when i lay him down earlier - he STILL wallers until 9 anyway.